January 18, 2016
It’s the New Year and with 2015 behind us, we look forward to all that 2016 has to offer. With the coming of any New Year there are countless trends and predictions that come up. While many can be wrong, it is fun to look ahead—here’s a glimpse at what to expect in the coming year.
Top Trends for 2016
Tired of going to the grocery store–shopping and ordering groceries online has been growing steadily for a few years, but will surge in 2016.
For the first time in a decade, the American College of Sports Medicine’s survey of fitness professionals says that wearable technology, including fitness trackers such as Fitbit and Jawbone, GPS and heart monitors, and smart watches such as the Apple Watch, will be the No. 1 trend for the New Year.
America’s 55-74 year-old generation is expected to start selling their bigger, traditional homes and opt for smaller, more manageable living arrangements in greater numbers this year.
The first wave of Baby Boomers turn 70 in 2016. And ready for this the Millennials have surpassed Baby Boomers in numbers this past year to become the largest U.S. generation. There are an estimated 75.3 Millennials (ages 18 to 34) compared with 74.9 million Baby Boomers.
- Power Bowls: Bowls are the new plates. All sorts of creative one-dish meals are being served in a bowl with various monikers – protein bowls, Buddha bowls, broth bowls, quinoa bowls and globowls – for globally inspired bowl meals.
- Ancient Grains: Quinoa darted to the top of the heap, but 2016 will be a time for other ancient grains to shine – including teff, millet, amaranth, spelt, kamut, kaniwa, freekeh and farro.
- Avocado Oil: According to Pinterest, it will become the new coconut oil.
- Of the 95% who will travel domestically in 2016, Summer Vacations, Multi-Generational trips, and Weekend Getaways are the primary impetus behind such plans.
- Popular domestic destinations are either a city/town or a beach, with Florida, Las Vegas, California, New York and Hawaii being mentioned the most.
- 2016 is a Leap Year- enjoy Friday, February 29, 2016
- This July 4 – NASA’s Juno spacecraft is expected to arrive at Jupiter
- August 5–21 – The 2016 Summer Olympics will be held in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- The United States presidential election of 2016, scheduled for Tuesday, November 8, 2016, will be the 58th quadrennial U.S. presidential election.
Top Anticipated Movies – get ready for prequels and superheroes
- Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice March 25
- Captain America: Civil War May 6
- Independence Day: Resurgence June 24
- Ghostbusters July 15
- Star Trek Beyond July 22
- Bridget Jones Baby September 16
- The Girl on the Train October 7
- Rogue One a Star Wars Story December 16
Ready or not 2016 is here. We wish you the best and a Happy New Year!